Ah, winter. The sun rises after you get to work and sets before you leave, it’s brutally cold outside, and my mood is 10% “can’t wait for this day” and 90% “I’m perfectly fine staying right here in the warm bed, so I’m gonna”…anyone else?
Yes, I know I’m not alone in this struggle. As someone that thrives off of natural light, I can fully admit that I really struggle in the winter time. Besides the fact that I’ve got some health issues going on (more on that in the next few months), winter always leaves me tired, moody, and way too excited for Spring. I’ve been told by my doctor in the past that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, a type of depression that is brought out by the change of seasons. I can see that being the case back in my teens, and maybe even a small part of the case now, but now I believe this to largely be due to the health problems I’m battling. That being said, I truly and deeply understand and sympathize with anyone who does suffer from S.A.D.
(DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. If you have or you think you may have S.A.D. please speak to your physician. This blog post is a personal opinion and based on personal experience and any advice given should not be taken over your physician’s instructions).
I know first hand how hard it is to be tired all the time, because I am. Being exhausted is exhausting, and it makes even simple tasks seem like a horrible chore. Plus, add being cold on top of that? Yeah, that’s my experience with winter. We can all agree it’s not the best feeling. Don’t get me wrong, there are many things I am grateful for about winter. But less sunlight and lower body temperature are not on that list.
So today I thought I’d share with all of you some “remedies” I’ve found that help with these winter blues! These products below mostly help with clearing my mind, getting a deeper sleep, and a refreshed awakening.
- Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation: This alarm clock is my FAVOURITE. I bought this when I was living back home in my parents basement with NO window so I used it year round. The concept is simple, you set the time you want your alarm to go off, and how long of a sunrise you’d like, and this light turns on (starts at a reddish-orange hue) and slowly brightens up until the time your alarm goes off, where it’s at full brightness. Just like a sunrise! For anyone who likes to wake up naturally to light (my favourite way of waking up), then this alarm clock is for you! Plus, theres a bunch of options for alarm sounds, like waves or birds chirping, or a calming melody. And, you can even set a bedtime light, where the light will simulate a sunset (bright setting that slowly dims over the set amount of time) to help ease you into sleep.
- Verilux HappyLight Liberty XKS Energy Lamp: This is a light therapy lamp, which is designed for people who suffer from S.A.D. But as I mentioned, I thrive off natural light, and I work at a cubicle with no natural light, so this is my little saving grace. This lamp simulates natural light, which tricks my mind into thinking I’m getting the real deal! It cuts out my afternoon slump and leaves me feeling energized and productive!
- Saje Aromatime Ultrasonic Diffuser: Something I recently got into is aromatherapy. I’ve always been heavily affected by scents, but never really took the time to research the effects of aromatherapy or even try it out for more than just a sitting. But I am so glad I did! After using a diffuser to fall asleep, I thought about how awesome it would be to wake up to a scent that was created to wake up my body and senses, but of course I wouldn’t be able to do that unless I woke up and turned my diffuser on. And then, I found this diffuser! It’s a silent alarm clock (and you can even turn the display off). This lovely diffuser has an East and West compartment where you can fill the East with water and your favourite essential oil scent to wake up to, and the West with water and your favourite scent to fall asleep to. Set the alarm to the time you’d like to wake up and go to bed at, and your diffuser will turn on an hour before each time with the appropriate scent. Genius! This clock paired with my Philips Sunrise Simulation clock is a great combo for anyone struggling to get outta bed in the dark winter morning.
- Saje Energy Diffuser Blend: This blend is one of my favourites to wake up to. It’s got a citrus-y scent which I find really awakens my senses and body. And I find that it truly does energize me!
- Gratitude & Growth Journal: Okay, little shameless plug here. But honestly, I love this journal! I could never find a gratitude journal that had everything I wanted within it, so I created one. This quick 5 min journal is great for grounding myself and reminding me of all the incredible things I have to be grateful for – even if it’s dark and cold out.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle: This book is a game changer! If you haven’t picked it up yet I strongly encourage you to grab yourself a copy and dive into it with an open mind! Taking ownership of my thoughts and actions and separating my reactions from myself has been one of the best lessons I’ve ever learned, and ABSOLUTELY KEY in ensuring that the bad things just roll off my back and I keep pushing through and looking on the bright side of things. And this book serves as a reminder whenever I’m feeling grouchy that it’s all about perspective!
Pair all of this with a healthy, powerful diet (I use this term loosely, as in an everyday diet and am not telling you to count calories!) a little bit of exercise, warm clothes, and a positive mindset, and you’ve got the perfect recipe for kicking some winter blues ass!
So tell me, have you tried any of these products before? What are your suggestions for staying positive during the chilly and dark winter months?